I only had 1 day to see everything I wanted to see in Aomori so I used a car and driver from Go with Guide. This was a very expensive way to do it (approx $600), but I had the car and driver for 9 hours and squeezed in all the museums and galleries I wanted to do in one day, as well as the rice fields and was driven home. However, with more time, it is easy to get the train, and there is normally a shuttle between the two fields, or it's a 30 minute walk. The shuttle wasn't running the day I went, so I was driven between the two in minutes. It's a lovely flat town so if you are able, to cycle around the area would be a lovely way to explore it.
The best time to view has changed in the last decade (no doubt due to the climate chaos) but from July it is now clearly visible. Make sure you check out the planting and harvesting time each year before you go. This year they've stated the best time to come is mid July to mid August, and harvesting is early October.
You pay a small fee of 300 yen per viewing tower to look at the art, children under 12 are 100 yen. You need the height of the tower to see the picture. There are elevators for access, though we were requested to walk down the stairs to leave.
One of the towers had photos of past art in the stairwell on the way down, the other had an exhibition of art and the designs on the ground floor.
This year's art was of Ringo Musume, a local band where the members are named after apples (Aomori prefecture is ALL about apples! More on that to come). and the Ghost paintings, one from the Edo period and one from Manga.
They also now include pebble art to celebrate a deceased artist, this year's was the novelist Dazai Osamu (from Tsugaru in the Aomori Prefecture).
One of the most interesting things about these works is the perspective. They are designed to be viewed from the angle of the tower. If you were to look from directly above, the picture doesn't take it's form. There is a photo of this on the handout they give you and it was very surprising, but also shows the skill in the design. It's also worth checking out how it looks from planting to harvest. That evolution really highlights the skill in this type of art.
"Before the seed there comes the thought of bloom." E.B.White
Practicalities:
Japan Cheapo - Tanbo Art 2026 (public transport details)
Aomori Tourism - Rice Paddy Art -Inakadate Village
If you can't get up North is is one closer to Tokyo - an hour and 15 minutes on the train and bus in Saitama.
Further Reading:
Linking with #WeekendCoffeeShare #KeithsRamblings #NaturesNotes #WordlessWednesday #ThruMyLens #GardenAffair
So beautiful. Such talent.
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.
Have a blessed day and rest of the week, Lydia. Hugs. ❤️
We spent a few days in Tokyo on a stopover in November but I want to go back!
ReplyDeleteWow!! Just wow! Amazing they do that.
ReplyDeleteWow! This is incredible and something you don't see every day. I was in Japan the same time as you but I had no idea that this rice paddy art existed. I wish I did!
ReplyDeleteIncredible artworks! You took great photos. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.
ReplyDeleteThese are amazing artworks and as you say they must be really difficult to create given the challenge of getting the perspective right
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely amazing! I've never seen anything like it!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, those are amazing. Japan is one place that I would really like to visit..
ReplyDelete