Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Prince Hotel Japanese Garden - a pretty little detour

 


I have often wondered if I should stay at one of the Prince Hotels at Shinagawa to be able to walk through the lovely gardens each day, but this last trip decided Shibuya was a better base but I would visit after dinner. 

Linking with #WeekendReflection


12 minutes on the train from Shibuya, 8 minutes from Tokyo Station, it's not far from the tourist hubs.










It took me a little time to find the entrance, as I tried to go through one of the hotels, but the street entrance is between the Prince Sakura Tower and Hanakohro hotel. (for your google directions). It is also apparently accessible from the 2nd floor of The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo. The gardens are maintained by the three Prince hotels that surround it. 20,000 square metres of seasonal gardens with some historic significance.








In Spring they illuminate the cherry blossom at night, so you can visit when suits. In summer they have a Summer festival where there are fireworks by the pond. Autumn the foliage puts on it's own fireworks and winter brings snow ropes, Christmas decorations and occasionally snow!












The building in the garden with the Kannon statue on the alter is the first story of a three story pagoda that lost the upper floors by the Enkyo period. It was moved to this location in 1954 from Kamakura. The bell tower is relocated from Nara in 1959 and was built in 1656.



I was there in the lead up to Takanwa Nijurokuya on the 26th night of the first and seven months of the lunar calendar (I was there on the 23rd July) a moon rising celebration.















Plan to have dinner out there or tour some of the other gardens nearby. It's a lovely, peaceful oasis in the urban sprawl of Tokyo. 

Practicalities: 

Train to Shinagawa station and then a few minutes walk to the entrance.

Other gardens to check out in the area are:

Shinagawa Season Terrace

Shinagawa Central Garden

Shinagawa Rooftop Garden

Gotenyama Garden



Further Reading:

Prince Hotel Japanese Garden

In Search of Lost Things - Asakusa, Tokyo

Roppongi Street Art 

Tell us about Gardens




 
Linking with #WaterThursday #KeithsRamblings #ThruMyLens #GardenAffair #TalkaboutitTuesday and #TravelTuesday







5 comments:

  1. Delightful. You've just pushed Japan further up my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great place for little stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely garden with all the pretty lights. Looks peaceful. I am sure it is beautiful in the day time too. Have a great week. I am joining you at H2O Thursday linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this time of year when it is easier to take a stroll at night. Usually I'm in bed!

    ReplyDelete